- About Calloway’s
- Community Relations
- Our Credentials
- Our Promise
- Our Story
- Our Vendors
- Pots of Posies
- Investor Relations
- Contact Us
- Employment Opportunities
- Garden Info
- PlantMaster Answers
- Garden Calendar
- Plants and Care
- Fall Vegetables
- Flower Carpet Roses
- Native Plants
- Native Texas Shrubs
- Shubs for Structure
- Vegetables in Containers
- Crapemyrtle Care
- Pruning Crapemyrtles
- Problem Identifier
- Store Locations
- Garden Club
Wed, 05/09/2012 - 10:03 — Sarah Martinez
Mother’s Day fun facts
Commemorate the special woman in your life
Shopping for mom is on the top of my to-do list this week. (I believe a Double Knock Out Rose is on her wish list. With planting service. Courtesy of me.)To get us in the spirit of the event, I present these fun (and random) facts about Mother’s Day.
From the U.S. Census Bureau:
- 85.4 million: Estimated number of mothers in the United States in 2009.
- 4.0 million: Number of women who gave birth in the past 12 months.
- 53%: Percentage of women who were mothers in 2010.
- 81%: Percentage of women who had become mothers by age 40 to 44 as of 2010. In 1976, 90 percent of women in that age group had given birth.
From the National Retail Federation:
- The average person celebrating the holiday is expected to spend $152.52 on gifts, up from $140.73 last year. Total spending is expected to reach $18.6 billion.
- Two-thirds (66.4%) will buy flowers, spending a total of $2.2 billion
- The founder of Mother’s Day, Anne Jarvis, trademarked the phrases “second Sunday in May” and "Mother's Day", and created the Mother's Day International Association.
- Mexico celebrates "Día de las Madres" held each year on May 10.
- In the United States, Mother's Day remains one of the biggest days for sales of flowers, greeting cards, and the like; it is also the biggest holiday for long-distance telephone calls.
What’s YOUR tradition?
What I find far more interesting are the unique ways families commemorate Mother’s Day. In typical Texas fashion, we celebrate the moms in our family with a barbecue lunch at home. I know many others have a favorite restaurant where they go for brunch. A friend of mine has an annual movie day with the moms in her life.
Leave us a comment and let us know how you say thanks to mom!