- About Calloway’s
- Information Center
- Store Locations
- Garden Club
Thu, 06/07/2012 - 14:11 — Sarah Martinez
The surprising side of plants
Guess what—they’re more than just pretty!
Plants certainly make life more beautiful. They also make life safer, healthier, secure and fun! America in Bloom—a national beautification program—recently released a booklet describing little-known facts about plants. Click here to download a PDF of “Discover the Surprising Side of Plants.” We’ve listed some of our favorite factoids below.
- Research has shown that most recipients feel very positively about flowers and plants as gifts and overwhelmingly translate those feelings into positive feelings about the gift-giver as well.
- Adding to your landscape is the ONLY home improvement—inside or out—that will add a value greater than what you spend.
- Studies show that being around plants helps children to improve concentration, boost creativity, improve memory, enhance health and improve grades.
- Plants assist in controlling storm water runoff. Trees, shrubs, groundcovers and grasses can help stabilize soil by reducing wind, water and soil erosion.
- Plants reduce office pollutants and reduce employee sick time by 14%.
- Strategically placed plants deter litter, graffiti and crime, making neighborhoods and downtowns cleaner and safer, and reducing costs.
- Gardening is one of the most rewarding forms of exercise for people of all ages. Stretching, bending, pushing, pulling, weight-bearing…gardening offers a broad range of benefits to all your muscle groups.